Gave an "average" score for cleanliness only because it was a little dusty but really quite a minor issue, overall fantastic location and teriffic value for money. Perfect for a family of 4 - had everything we needed and would most certainly use again. Have recommended to others to use.
A little more dusting and cleaning would make the cottage alot more comfortable and appealing. The cupboards in the kitchen need cleaning out and we found rubbish under the beds in the 2nd bedroom (with bunks). More care and attention to little things like providing a clean scourer in the kitchen for new visitors and fixing the broken towel rail in the bathroom would complete the cottage experience.
Apsley Cottage was exactly as described (and GREAT value) perfect for a weekend trip away in the Grampians. The cottage is simple but clean and equiped. Very warm too even though it was quite cold outside. We enjoyed emus and kangaroos in the front yard, covered carport was useful for packing and unpacking in the rain. Only thing I would mention is that the single beds are a tad on the short side, and I wouldn't plan on accommodating any taller than average adults in there. Thanks very much.
Apsley Cottage is perfectly located and quite nice. The king sized bed in the main room is great and the lounge was very cosy. The stove in the kitchen was great for preparing meals. However it does need a little more care:
- when we arrived, there was long dark hair all over the bathroom floor
- handle on the bathroom cupboard was broken
- batteries on the remote for the music player leaked acid all over the shelf (I cleaned it up and discarded the batteries - they must have been pretty old)
- no bath mat was provided so we had to use towels
- kitchen is fine but needs a couple of essential items. I had to go and buy a kitchen knife that could actually cut things so I could prepare dinner (no knife in the drawer could cut meat or vegies), a pair of tongs and a set of mixing/ salad bowls. A colander would be useful too.
- BBQ was disgustingly dirty and hubby had to spend half an hour working hard to clean off baked on stuff so we could use it
- Laundry facilities were great but it would be a courtesy to guests to let them know that the laundry is used by the owners/property managers for laundering linen from other properties so they might see people on the property. It wasn't a big deal, just would have been nice to know in advance.
- would be great to have a couple of those draft blocker sausage things for the front and back door - when it got cold, there was quite a draft. I used towels to block it.
- tress next to the drive need a trim to avoid scratching cars
Overall it was pretty good value - the location was fantastic, literally just a couple of minutes walk from the centre of town.
a great little cottage with character. The location is very convenient but still far away enough not to encounter the traffic during peak season (5min walk to the main strip of stores). Very suitable for my family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children). It has a wonderful little veranda with a table and chairs to sit and have a cuppa and enjoy the scenery and serenity.
This is a really cute and cozy cottage, with a great gas fire and a fantastic location right in the middle of Hall's Gap, making for an easy walk to shops and cafes if you need supplies.
Only small criticism is that the bunk beds are a bit on the short size for adults. But otherwise, a great place and great value!
On the surface the property looked good. My only major quibble was the dust in the bedrooms. We were all sneezing at bedtime. In the main room there were very thick layers of dust around lips of funiture and skirting boards at the head end of the bed to the point I cleaned them. The valance on the main bed had food spilled on it and there was dried food (noodles) around the top end of the bed on the floor. The flat sheet was torn in main bed and some of the pillows were heavily soiled with no protectors on them. The dust in the bunk room was just as bad with lots of 'bits' under the beds which I had to vacuum up. The external dining set had 2chairs which were half eaten by wildlife. Not really useable. The property is very good outwith these few points. I really would have stayed here again had it not been for the cottage's cleanliness letting it down.
Such a well equiped feel good place to stay. We have been attending Food and Wine Festival for 16 years and have had many forms of accomodation over the years. We are about to book Apsley again for next year, the best yet .
Our family loved the cottage and the kids are still talking about it. It was warm and homely and had everything we needed, especially the laundry and the fireplace :-) many thanks and we plan on coming back!
Apsley House was a lovely place to stay. It had all the facilities we needed and was close to shops and other facilities. We used it as a base to visit parts of the Grampians, which was great. We really enjoyed our stay.
The cottage was great. Perfect location. Only downfall was the towels and bathmat. Pretty shaggy looking! Few rugs were falling apart too. Bedside light needs fixing too. Other than that everything was great. Great value for money!!
Laundry was full of washing..washer and dryer for most of the stay was full.....TV was an old CRT that was lacking color and instructuions to get a pix using the set top box.need an LCD TV!!...back door lock hard to shut.needs a new lock....overall tho a lovely little cottage
An excellent place to stay right in the heart of Halls Gap. The cottage was neatly presented and well equipped. A lovely garden to enjoy the evening sun with a bottle of wine! We even saw a kangaroo fight as we unpacked!